Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It's been awhile . . . that's a good thing, right?

Well, I know it's been a few months, but I figure that is a good thing. We count our blessings every day.

Can I just say that Crohn's Disease really sucks? It doesn't care about the people it attacks, or the timing of these attacks. It does not care that we have been enjoying these past few months when Brent could actually eat real food and enjoy it. It does not care that every time it decides to show it's ugly head the stress level in our home goes through the roof. It does not care that we really really want to do things and can't. It doesn't care that Brent has many new responsibilities at work right now, and doesn't have any sick or vacation days to spare. It simply is an uncaring, ugly, wicked disease.

Well, now that you know how I really feel about that . . .

Today Brent was put back on NPO. (nothing by mouth). This is a last ditch effort to get the Crohn's to hopefully quiet down, and avoid surgery. As you know, if he goes in for another surgery, there really isn't much left to take out. It's very risky and complicated. He has a spot (that same *!#? spot) that is inflamed and is attacking the abdominal wall. Not good. CT's so far do not show an abscess or any fistulas forming. That is a good thing. The Crohn's is not responding to the IV antibiotics or the Cimzia injections. That is not a good thing. We are running out of medicinal options. So, for now, he is back to not being able to eat anything at all. That is really hard. Try it sometime. His TPN will be increased to 7 nights again. Luckily we are capable and can administer the IV antibiotics, extra fluids, and TPN at home. If not, he would be in the hospital right now. That would suck, since our hospital is in Murray, and I lost all of my drivers in the house to take David wherever he needs to be. Oh well.

I think we should get t-shirts. You know, been there, done that, got the t-shirts? Ok, not so good with the humor.

So, if you feel so inclined, please send your prayers, good thoughts, whatever, this way . . . again. We do feel them and know that with your love and support we can get through anything. (it's that whole "been there, done that" thing again.) We tend to get a bit discouraged when we take those steps forward, and then get kicked back behind the goal line again. (just finished watching David play football).

Love,
Lisa

5 comments:

  1. We will for sure send our prayers your way. Sorry to hear about the set-backs. Try to keep your chin up. :) Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man Lisa- that does suck! I don't know what else to say . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is way rough.
    I like your no non-sense approach to putting it out there.
    Y'all are in our prayers.
    I got Brody's patches, THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear this latest news. Life seems very difficult and unfair, sometimes. Remember, YOU CAN DO HARD THINGS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're in our prayers, I'm sorry things are crappy and stressful, wish I could help!

    ReplyDelete