Friday, April 13, 2012

So, here we sit at LDS Hospital. This will most likely turn into a rant so if you are not in the mood for negativity today, you may just want to click on the little 'x' and go read someone else's blog.

On sunday night Brent began running a fever and had some pain in his side. The fever went away and then came back again on Monday night. First thing Tuesday morning we called Dr. jones' office (the new GI) and informed them of it and requested him to order a CT. We didn't hear back from him until after five o'clock , too late to order anything of course. He said to call his office in the morning and tell his MA to order a CT. So, now we are to Wednesday, and still nothing. Called the office, was assured by the obnoxious valley girl who answered the phone that she would get the message. I called again at one o'clock inquiring as to the status of the ordering of the CT. Oh, well, they had been seeing patients all morning so she hasn't had time to see her messages. Knowing I was not well pleased, we were once again told that the message would be delivered. Nothing. Nobody called. At about 4:30 we gave up and called Dr. Price's office instead. His nurse paged him in O.R. And finally got a CT ordered for first thing Thursday morning. CT showed possible abscess and fistula. Again. Yippee. Dr. Price looked at the CT and wasn't sure it was an abscess, so he had his radiologist look at it. He agreed it was an abscess. So, here I sit, waiting once again, while Brent has a drain inserted into his side.

We can't help but wonder if this could have been avoided if we would have caught it right away with antibiotics on Tuesday, rather than wait until Friday. We are so angry and frustrated with the dr. Office for their uncaring attitude even after I told them it was rather urgent. Grrrrr. Brent can go from being fine to being septic in a matter of hours. They know this. It's just so frustrating. As Brent said in his Facebook post. "even if you are the best Dr. In the world, if your office staff are a bunch of idiots, it just doesn't matter." we are now searching for a newer new GI. Preferably one that has a competent office staff that actually listens. If I had ended up taking Brent to the ER there would have been hell to pay. Don't cross me when it comes to my husbands health care. I am very capable of going all 'momma bear' with no problem.

When the fever hit on Sunday, you could probably hear our hearts sink. Brent has been doing SO well and was getting ready to go back to work full-time again. Every set back gets harder and harder to take. Every time we make plans to do anything, they end up being cancelled. Supposed to be in St. George right now with family and friends. Grrrr. So frustrating, especially since we could have probably gone if this had been handled in a timely manner.

Well, if you didn't click on the 'x' and muddled your way through this whining and complaining, good job! Sometimes you just gotta vent. And since this is my blog, I guess I get to vent whenever I want. Thanks for sticking with us. It's been a long six years.

Lisa

3 comments:

  1. I saw Brent in the CT waiting room at UVRMC. I was getting a scan for kidney stones. I am so sorry this has happened (again) to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he said you saw you there as well. Yep, life sucks, and then you move on, and on, and on, and on again. :) Thanks for your concern.

      Delete
  2. ahh :( :( :( :( So frustrating! So so sorry Lisa. :( Praying so hard for you guys. Hope you guys find a great doctor that will take amazing care of Brent and you so things like this don't happen in the future! And venting is ok, sometimes we all have to do it.

    ReplyDelete