I often get asked if I am going to update the blog . . . ok, here goes.
I don't feel it important to update each day, especially when nothing exciting is going on, or there are no changes in Brent's status. I guess, no news is good news, or simply, it is status quo. :)
The past week has just been more of the waiting process. The midline incision is almost completely healed, and we expect the wound vac to disappear next week. The fistula is still there, and it has not closed up on its own, and we are not sure what Dr. Price will want to do about it. It doesn't drain hardly anything, but it is definitely not closed up.
The Malecott drain into the intestine is still draining nicely and still is the source of great pain and discomfort for Brent. Last week, Dr. Price removed the suction JP and wanted only a down drain on it. That worked great during the day but at night nothing drained and it backed up and made Brent extremely sick. I talked them into letting us hook the bulb suction back up just at night, and use the down drain during the day. :) Yay me! He can finally sleep again.
Everyone is dying to know what happens next . . . so are we. We have no clue. We see Dr. Price next Friday, and will hopefully walk away with a few more answers and time line for whatever those answers are. Our options are unknown also . . . so to sum it up, I guess we don't know much. :) We could end up back in surgery up at IMED to repair the intestine where the malecott drain is, and remove the fistula; we could end up at UCLA having the same thing done, or something totally different. Life is such an unknown adventure. Each day is filled with questions and doubts and worry. Each day we wake up we wonder, "will he go back to the hospital today?" So far, being home has been advantageous for him, as I believe you heal faster at home, physically and mentally.
Brent did get out the other day, and made a trip into the office to pick up a few things and visit. It was good for him. He enjoyed seeing many of his coworkers. We drove around town and I took him down to see what is left of the Provo Tabernacle. Yesterday we ended up having to take David up American Fork Canyon so he could run Ham radios for a Klondike derby up there. That was a gorgeous drive.
Anyway, so, nothing real new, but nothing bad either. We'll take it.
Your continued thoughts and prayers in our behalf are felt and appreciated. We feel as though we have the best family and friends that you could ever hope for.
Lisa
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment