Tuesday, March 17, 2026

No news is sometimes good news

 


Well, sorry for the lack of updates. We have always been pretty public about all of this, mainly because we rely on our support system heavily. Your faith and prayers, good thoughts, karma, little white horses (Brenda) or whatever you have to offer is what gets us through each and every crisis situation. But, sometimes I'm just done, and I don't want to share anything or deal with anyone. Yesterday was that day. I was just done. Done with stupid people doing stupid things. Done with the unknown. Done with keeping it all inside. I might have taken it out on a Dr. who said they were sending Brent down for a test that I immediately got red flags about. And by red flags I mean total panic attack, no way are you doing this test kind of flag. When asked if it was medically necessary, she said that the GI team thought it was and that they had no concerns about sending a bunch of liquids and dye and maybe barium down when he had been NPO for several days, just to see if there were any leaks before discharging him. Well, after that I was pretty sure there would be. I mean, I'm not a Dr. but I do have common sense and I try to follow my inner promptings and gut instinct, oh, and I AM an honorary surgeon, an honor given to me by Dr. Price after draining abscesses and such at home. So there is that. 


Anyway, all that to say that the test was rescheduled for this morning to let us think about it. :/   Then, all of a sudden this morning it wasn't considered medically necessary, and the discharge papers were started. Wait, what?  So, I drove up, packed up all his stuff and they were ready to discharge him. ok.


I was supposed to meet Michelle, Tina, and Brenda over at the park across from the hospital at noon for lunch since it's my birthday and all. I was ready to cancel but Brent said the sunshine would feel good. So, Michelle brought a camp chair and greek food and we had a lovely lunch while Ela and Tommy played at the park. Brent is still not eating so he just enjoyed the sunshine (it's 70* here.)  And, now we are home. He is tired, but doing ok. 


Nobody knows what the next steps are. Nobody knows what the long term steps should be. Surgery to remove the affected area is not an option.  There is talk of contacting the Intestinal Rehab Team in Nebraska (we visited with them a few years ago) to see if they have any thoughts/solutions.


We are grateful he is home. We are grateful for good Dr's and nurses. We are grateful for another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment