Tuesday, March 26, 2013

This morning/afternoon was spent at IMED with Brent having an EDG and colonoscopy, to hopefully get some answers as to why his hematocrit and platelets keep bottoming out. He has had 11 units of blood since January 3rd.

Well, we didn't really get any answers. There was nothing in the tests that would cause that much blood loss. The Dr. says Brent is his most complicated case ever. Yippee. He doesn't really know what to do. He is going to consult with some other Dr.s. We also need to see a hematologist. Hopefully we can find some answers there.

Thank you to those of you who have donated blood over the past few months. It doesn't benefit us directly, like financially or anything, but it helps to rebuild the blood bank. We have definitely used a lot. His Hct is back down to 23 today so he will probably be getting more blood this week. Thanks again.



So, I just wanted to address something that I said the other day (not in the blog) to a group of friends. I have been thinking about it ever since I said it. Every now and then our church leaders make home visits. For those not of the LDS faith, we have meetings once a year (Ward Conference) where local leaders make home visits the week prior to the meetings. We also have mtgs twice a year (Stake Conference) where sometimes visits are made with visiting General Authorities of our church. It seems as though we have had our share of visits. We love them, don't get me wrong. We have been visited by our local leaders, and also General Authorites. They have always been great visits. Prior to last weeks Ward Conference, we were once again chosen to have visitors. I was kind of complaining about it, and as I left this group of friends to attend the visit at home, I said that I was so tired of being "special" enough to have these visits.

That comment, as I departed, has weighed heavily on my mind ever since. I was not complaining about the visitors. I truly love our leaders, and we were fortunate enough to have our close friend and Stake President assigned to come to our home. We always feel uplifted during the visits. I came to the conclusion that what bothers me is not the attention, or the feeling that we are 'special,' but the fact that we HAVE to be this way. Does that make sense? I hate that we are one of the 'special families in the ward.' I hate that we have to depend on others so frequently for your prayers and strength and service. That being said, I also know that we could not survive without you. We are so used to serving others that it is often hard to BE served. I also know that if it were not for those needing to be served, there would be no chances for others to serve. There is a time and a season for everything. Soooo, I guess what I am trying to say, and I'm not so sure I am explaining it right, is that, yes, it is embarrassing and tiring to be the source of constant concern, prayer and service, but it is the fact that we ARE in this position that is more frustrating. I apologize if I seemed ungrateful and crass, or a whiny little brat. We would be nothing without you and your support. We are extremely overwhelmed at the support and strength that we receive from you. Thank you. Again.

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. I totally get it. I was in your situation for a short time - 6+ months - over 30 years ago. It was so difficult to feel like you are the ward "project." What we all crave is to be normal and not have bad things happen in our lives. But, you don't really know that until it happens to you.
    I hope you get some answers and SOON. Not knowing is the worst thing.

    ReplyDelete