Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Well, this is something new.

Well, it's been a couple of months since I updated, which is awesome. Brent has been doing really well, and even had the strength and energy to finish the basement remodel due to flooding. We finished(except for a few things like window sill, the hallway flooring and moving all the crap back in) right on time. Which leads me to the bad news . . .

Last week he started running fevers and on Thursday we had his IV line cultured with the suspicion that it was somehow infected. He also has had an annoying cough that we attributed to allergy season and the fact that our huge tree out front is in full bloom. Well, the line tested positive for staph. Yippee. Luckily we can do IV antibiotics at home, and we have a great team of Dr.s who have confidence in us. Meanwhile we went to our primary care Dr for the cough and while listening to his heart noticed something of concern. He has always had an innocent heart murmur. He thought he detected an aortic regurgitation. So, the chest X-ray for the cough was clean, but today he had an echocardiogram and they found infection in his heart valve, most likely spread from the infected IV lines. Sooooo, they wanted to admit him right then to UVRMC, and we said "um, nope." We didn't say it was because we dislike UVRMC, and the care they give, but instead said that we needed to go to IMED in Murray because that is where his team of Drs and nutritionists are, which is true. So, after a blessing from our Bishop and Bro. Campbell (thanks), we headed up to IMED. They want to remove his IV line and monitor him for awhile (not sure how long awhile is, days?) and they will keep testing for staph and if he shows no growth they will put a new line in. Hopefully the IV antibiotics will clear up the infection in the heart valve, otherwise they will have to do a heart valve replacement. That is not sounding fun.

Soooo, here we sit. Waiting.

We are thankful for Dr. Carn and his good call on the heart sounds. Could possibly have led to something quite serious, like a stroke, if left untreated.

We are thankful for our amazing kids who are so responsible and I don't have to worry about them while I am at the hospital with Brent. I am thankful that the girls are living at home right now so david has someone to keep him company, even though I know joseph would stay with him if needed. We are thankful for our caring team of Drs, specifically our PA who handles all of Brent's nutrition, and was instrumental in getting him admitted at IMED without having to go through the ER. We are thankful for our ever supportive family, neighbors and friends. Some people think that I am a bit too public with things, but everyone deals with things differently. Personally, I need the strength and support of others. If I didn't have it I wouldn't be able to handle all of the stress. Thanks.

Here's to modern medicine, and prayers that it works.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment