Friday, April 16, 2021

We’re baaaack. . .

 Well, I didn’t really want to post on the blog, but I understand that there are so many people who love Brent but don’t want to keep bothering me with texts. 


Yep, we’re back in the hospital. Brent was diagnosed with pneumonia on Tuesday and we were treating it at home with two IV antibiotics. His Infectious Disease Doc made me promise that if he so much as twitched that I would get him to the ER. We all know how quickly Brent can crash. Interestingly enough, the pneumonia might be a secondary infection to a tooth that needs to be extracted. This is the tooth that the crown has been knocked off twice during previous intubation. It was supposed to be extracted yesterday afternoon but his body had a different plan. . .

 Yesterday his low grade fever decided it wanted to be an overachiever and jumped up. He was also coughing more. Two twitches earned him a trip to the ER. After about six hours they were finally able to find a room to move him to. The chest X-ray showed a little worse than two days ago and white count was elevated. They decided to admit him to treat with more hard core antibiotics per his ID docs orders. 


Last night after I left to go home he spiked a 102 and they put ice and a fan on him. This morning when I got here he was at 103. The docs haven’t been in yet today. The hospital is totally full so they’re a bit busy. So since we haven’t talked to the docs yet I don’t have a lot of info on why the fevers are not coming down. 


So, at least this time I can actually be here at the hospital with him. 

You get a whole new appreciation for the doctors and nurses that are being run ragged. This 500 bed hospital is full. Our daughter works at Primary Children’s and it is also full. The hospitals, for whatever reason, are understaffed. I love and appreciate good nurses and doctors that give tirelessly to the care of others. We have so many doctors and nurses that have literally saved Brent’s life over the years. We love them. We lost one of our favorites a couple weeks ago. She left this earth much too soon. She was more than a nurse. She was our friend. I wish I could say that we were special, but after listening to her funeral service I realized that she took the same care and showed the same love to everyone who she met. I knew she was sick. I visited her at the hospital and we had several late night chats during covid. She never put herself or her health before her family, friends or patients. I hope to be like her someday. 




No comments:

Post a Comment