Monday, June 8, 2020

So, we haven’t posted anything for a few days. Sorry to those of you sitting on the edge of your seats. Kidding.

We were trying to process some news we got the other day. Unfortunately the bacteria has made its way to Brents artificial heart valve. That is the one thing we were praying wouldn’t happen. After a week of being on vancomycin he still was having positive blood cultures even after the central line was removed. The TEE they did showed growth on the valve. The Dr and ID Doc on call told us that Brent would have to have the valve replaced via another open heart surgery. That was pretty devastating news to hear. We were kind of in shock. All day today we’ve been waiting for Brent’s heart surgeon to come in and tell us what the plan is, fully expecting to be headed in for open heart surgery tomorrow. He came in about an hour ago after consulting with Brent’s ID Dr and cardiologist. We truly love Dr Caine and have full confidence in him. We were so blessed six years ago that he was on call at the hospital when Brent critically needed him. He proposed another option.

 There is an outside possibility that he may not have to have open heart surgery. Dr Dascomb (ID) and Dr Caine (surgeon) have decided to add two antibiotics to the treatment. If he starts having negative cultures (they are still running positive as of today) then A) he can get a PICC line put in so he can start his own TPN mix and be nutritionally boosted should he need surgery, and B) if the cultures stay negative, and the valve is sterilized by the antibiotics, he thinks he could do a valve replacement via catheter and not open heart.

That obviously is the preferred option, but it all depends on how the new antibiotics affect the bacteria. So, obviously we are hoping for this scenario, but we may still have to do the full open heart.

For now he gets to stay in the hospital and cool his jets for awhile waiting to see how affective  the IV antibiotics are. They will re-evaluate at the end of the week and do another TEE to assess the valve. If the antibiotics are ineffective they will have to do the full surgery at the beginning of next week.

Personal side note. (It’s my blog and I can do what I want, right?). I’ve truly struggled this past week, especially after fervently praying for the bacteria not to attack the heart valve, and then learning that it has. I’ve had a few emotional breakdowns. I think I’ve earned them. I asked our good friends who just happen to be our Stake President and Bishop to give me a blessing last night. After talking things out with them I was reminded that we have been richly blessed the past 14 years. We all know Brent has been living on borrowed time and we have seen miracle after miracle resulting in his life being spared too many times to count. I previously asked our Bishop if there are any miracles left in the stash. He responded, “Brent has shown there is no cap on miracles!” We’ve been cursed as well, but the blessings far outweigh the tragedies. Other people’s lives have been changed for the better. I also chatted with my dear friend today who sadly lost his sweet wife recently. He was able to answer my question and put things into perspective in a way I’ve never thought of before. Suffice it to say I’ve been humbled. I’ve been taught. I’ve been blessed. I’ve been loved. We have such a huge support system and I am so blessed to call you all my family and friends.

Brent commented a minute ago that when he was texting his coworkers he always says “we” when referring to what’s happening. I tend to do that too even though it’s his body that fails him. We are a team. We go through all of this together. Thank you all for being part of our team. Your prayers, support, love, service, thoughts and strength are what keeps us going. Thanks for sticking with us. It’s been quite the journey. We know that if this does ultimately lead to another open heart surgery you’ll still be there praying. Thank you. For now we just wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment