Today, being Thanksgiving, I give thanks for so many things. Brent is doing as well as can be expected only 2 days out of surgery. He's been up walking, and is awake most of the time. They have him so heavily drugged that he tends to nod off unexpectedly. :) But, drugs are good when you are in so much pain. He has two incisions to deal with, not just one, which makes things a little more complicated. He is still NPO, but they said maybe tomorrow he can start on clear liquids. He always amazes me with his strength and will to survive. I think I would have given up long ago had I been made to endure what he has.
Tomorrow will be the first dressing change since putting the wound vac on, so it will be interesting to see how much healing has taken place so far. We are hoping that he won't have to come home with the wound vac on. But, if he does, it's not like we don't know what to do with it.
I am thankful for my four awesome kids. Thankful that they are wise and compassionate and capable of doing many things. Thankful that I can be at the hospital and know that I don't need to worry about them. Well, sometimes they try to kill each other, but so far, so good.
I am thankful for all of our family, spread throughout the country, from the east coast to the west coast. The support and strength that you offer us is immeasurable (is that a word?), and so very much appreciated in whatever form you offer it. We truly know the meaning of "family." We couldn't do this without all of you. Thank you. Again.
I am thankful for the friends and neighbors that have touched our lives throughout the years. You are amazing. We can never repay you for your kindnesses and prayers and support. We love where we live, and hope to never have to leave.
I am especially thankful for our doctors and nurses that always go the thousandth mile for us. Dr. Hemmert has been our Dr. for 27 years, and we cannot even count the number of times he has saved us with his expertise, research, inspiration, and love. He is threatening to retire soon, and we are so thankful for the years he has given to us. No other Dr. will be able to replace him. Ever. And what, exactly, do you say about his MA, Becky? Not only does she know each of our birthdates, soc. sec. #'s, meds, has our phone #'s on speed dial, but she has become our very dear friend also. She fights our fights for us with the insurance company, the hospitals, other doctors . . . you get the picture. Dr. Price has saved Brent's life, literally, more than once. His heart is bigger than his ego, and he truly cares about mankind. We are thankful for his surgical skills, his inspiration, and his love. His nurse, Teddett can make miracles happen too. Suffice it to say that we are thankful for modern medicine.
Our lives are richly blessed. We have had more than our share of trials, and frankly I'm tired of being told I should be thankful for my trials . . . but I am thankful for the growth and strength that we have gained from our trials. Would we have chosen them? Probably not. Do we feel picked on? Many times, yes. Do we doubt our Heavenly Father's love for us? Never. Bad things happen to good people all the time. We are reminded of One who has endured much much more than we can ever imagine. He, too, loves us and watches over us. We just keep trying to endure what we've been given, and endure it well. In the end, that's all that matters. We have to make the best of what we've been given.
As always, we are thankful for the many prayers, fasting, good thoughts, messages, and love that are sent our way. Thanks for sharing yet another journey with us and making the journey easier.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Love, Lisa
Thursday, November 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment