This blog is usually Lisa's domain and I am always as interested as anybody else to see what she is going to write - even if I'm the subject matter of her posts:) But every once in a while I get to add my $.02 worth.
This is the time of year when we pause and give thanks for all that we have been given. I would be a very ungrateful person if I didn't acknowledge all the blessings I have been given in the past year. From friends willing to drop everything to come give me a blessing (and break a few traffic laws on the way - Tim) to neighbors that will teach my Gospel Doctrine lessons at a moment's notice when I have a bad day or two, to family that is always there to help when they can. I have an employer that has been very understanding over the years and insurance that while not perfect has been very good to work with. I have a group of medical professionals that truly care about me and my family and have gone above and beyond the call of duty so many times we have lost count. Hopefully I can get healthy enough soon that Dr Hemmert can finally get some sleep :)
I have a family that has been amazing through the ordeals we've had over the past few years. My brothers and sister have been wonderful with all the support they've given, especially in helping out Lisa and the kids in all they do. They've been able to remove many of the worries we have had in sending three children off to college at the same time. My children have had to grow up too fast and become self sufficient over the past few years. It is nice to have kids that are responsible enough that they can go on "auto pilot" and allow Lisa to concentrate on my needs for literally months at a time. They aren't perfect but they truly have been a blessing in our lives.
Most of all I'm thankful for Lisa. I'm pretty sure that twenty five years ago when she married that skinny little sick kid she never imagined what she was getting herself into. She has had to become the glue that holds our family together while dealing with medical situations that would make lesser people run away. She has had to become an expert at everything from dealing with hospitals and insurance companies to wound care. She spends much of her time driving me from one appointment to another or waiting for another test to be done. All the while she has sacrificed her own needs to be sure I had whatever I needed. She has dealt with some really gross medical issues and situations that she absolutely hates but does anyway because they are what needs to be done. She listens to my complaining and frustrations and shares my tears and sorrows. She has helped me keep my faith during dark times when it would seem easier to just give up. She truly is my rock and the love of my life. I wouldn't be here without her.
I would be truly be ungrateful if I didn't thank my Lord and Savior for all the miracles that have occurred and continue to occur in our lives. I understand very well that I shouldn't be here. Somebody asked me a little while ago if I ever felt like Job. I have to admit that sometimes it sure seems that way but after studying the story of Job more closely (teaching Gospel Doctrine has that benefit) I have been able to use his example as a model of patience and hope. I know that all suffering has a purpose and that we learn through our suffering lessons that we can have no other way. I also know that our Savior understands what I am going through because He took upon Himself not only our sins but our infirmities as well. I really don't want to ever go through these experiences again but I know that I have been changed in a way that could occur no other way.
As we approach the holiday season I hope you can take some time away from the crazy and spend some time in quiet contemplation of the season and the blessings we have been given.
Brent
you're AWESOME you're AWESOME!
ReplyDelete3 cheers for Mom! Yay!
ReplyDeleteAnd I will have you know, I stopped growing "up" a long time ago. As you are so very fond of pointing out, (can you feel the sarcasm dripping from this sentence? Yes? Good!) I have been growing "out" for some time now. Yay for college student eating habits!
Love you, Dad!
pass the tissue
ReplyDelete